Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canada hours before deadline after announcing potential deal

President Donald Trump said late Tuesday that he is pausing 50% tariffs on Canadian goods scheduled to take effect Wednesday, saying the two countries have reached a deal pending final documentation.

“I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

“The great Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden, may be awoken from the grave!” Trump added.

Trump’s announcement came just hours before the tariffs were scheduled to take effect for a three-day period under the Tariff Act of 1930.

FORD’S US MANUFACTURING EXPANSION TO BRING ‘THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF JOBS,’ LUTNICK SAYS

The duties would have covered roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports, including liquor, dairy products, vehicles, hockey equipment and other goods. Certain food products, wearables, synthetic materials and industrial goods were also expected to be affected.

Trump spoke with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Monday night and reportedly spoke with him again Tuesday afternoon, according to FOX Business correspondent Edward Lawrence.

FOX Business reached out to the White House for comment.

The Office of the United States Trade Representative offered additional details about the agreement, saying it would address market access, economic security and digital trade.

“Congratulations Mr. President. The deal will include comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments, digital trade alignment, and many important provisions that will continue to protect our market and American workers, along with our Canadian partners,” the office said in a statement.

25 DEMOCRAT-LED STATES SUE TRUMP OVER NEW TARIFFS, CALLING THEM ILLEGAL END RUN AROUND SUPREME COURT

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Trump

In a statement Tuesday night, Carney said the two countries have been engaged in “intensive discussions” to resolve outstanding trade issues and have made “substantial progress.”

“Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families,” Carney said.

“Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done,” he continued. “As this work is ongoing, the United States has agreed to postpone the implementation of its 50% tariff on a range of Canadian goods under Section 338 of the U.S. Tariff Act of 1930 until end of day, August 21.”

“While we continue this work, Canada remains focused on building a stronger, more independent, and more competitive economy at home,” Carney added.

The Trump administration announced the proposed tariffs on certain Canadian imports in June, citing what officials described as trade “discrimination” against American businesses.

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION UNVEILS NEW TARIFFS ON 60 TRADING PARTNERS AS TEMPORARY DUTIES EXPIRE

Donald Trump shakes hands with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney during summit in Egypt

According to presidential proclamations, Canada has maintained a 25% tariff regime since April 9, 2025, targeting American-made motor vehicles and parts.

The administration previously accused Canada of using a quota system that limits the number of U.S.-made vehicles allowed into the country tariff-free.

Officials said the system further penalizes companies that shift manufacturing jobs from Canada back to the U.S., effectively pressuring American companies to keep production north of the border.

Carney condemned the Trump administration’s tariff plan at the time, calling it a “direct violation” of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), the free trade agreement among the three countries.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and US President Donald Trump

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

FOX Business’ Bonny Chu contributed to this report.

Read the full article here